Message > CFP for International Workshop on the Synergy of Parallel Computing, Optimization and Simulation Spe
Le 02/02/2018 par imen_chakroun :
International Workshop on the Synergy of Parallel Computing, Optimization and Simulation Special (PaCOS 2018)
CALL FOR PAPERS
July 16 – 20, 2018
Paper Submission Deadline: March 25, 2018
Submissions could be for full papers, short papers, poster papers, or posters
SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES
Most real-world problems are complex and stochastic and, thus, hard to approach. Such problems originate from a wide range of areas including manufacturing and production, logistics and supply chain management, healthcare, and many more. Simulation and optimization have traditionally been considered separately as alternative approaches to deal with such problems. The recent advances in computational power have promoted the proliferation of hybrid techniques that combine both approaches. The challenge is to design efficient and effective hybridization mechanisms taking advantage of great details provided by simulation as well as the ability of optimization methods to provide (near-)optimal solutions.
Simulation-optimization (SO) approaches include, but are not limited to:
- statistical selection methods such as ranking and selection, and multiple comparison procedures;
- black-box search methods that directly make use of the simulation estimates of the objective function like random search algorithms, simulation-based single- and multi-objective metaheuristics (e.g. local search or evolutionary algorithms) (also called simheuristics), probability distribution model–based methods;
- meta-model based methods such as first- and second-order regression models and neural networks;
- gradient-based methods like stochastic approximation, etc.
On the other hand, SO applications can/might become increasingly large (parameter, variable, and objective spaces) and complex (cross-disciplinary and mixed discrete-continuous optimization), requiring the use of parallel computing techniques for efficient and effective execution. However, the design and implementation of parallel SO methods raise several issues such as problem decomposition, parallel sampling, synchronization between simulation and optimization processes, load balancing, scalability, etc.
This workshop seeks to provide an opportunity for researchers to present their original contributions on the joint use of advanced single- and multi-objective optimization methods, simulation and distributed and/or parallel multi/many- core computing, and any related issues.
The PaCOS Workshop topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Parallelization techniques and advanced data structures for SO methods.
- Parallel mechanisms for the hybridization of optimization and simulation.
- Implementation issues of parallel SO on multi-core processors, accelerators, clusters, grids/clouds, etc.
- Energy- and thermal-aware implementation of parallel SO methods.
- Software frameworks for the design and implementation of parallel and/or distributed SO techniques.
- SO applications including healthcare, manufacturing, logistics, biological applications, advanced big data analytics, engineering design, etc.
- Computational/theoretical studies reporting results on solving complex problems using SO techniques.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAPER SUBMISSIONS
You are invited to submit original and unpublished research works on above and other topics related to synergy between parallel computing, optimization and simulation. Submitted papers must not have been published or simultaneously submitted elsewhere until it appears in HPCS proceedings, in the case of acceptance, or notified otherwise. For Regular papers, please submit a PDF copy of your full manuscript, not to exceed 8 double-column formatted pages per template, and include up to 6 keywords and an abstract of no more than 400 words. Additional pages will be charged additional fee. Submission should include a cover page with authors' names, affiliation addresses, fax numbers, phone numbers, and all authors email addresses. Please, indicate clearly the corresponding author(s) although all authors are equally responsible for the manuscript. Short papers (up to 4 pages), poster papers and posters (please refer to http://hpcs2018.cisedu.info/1-call-for-papers-and-participation/call-for-posters for posters submission details) will also be considered. Please specify the type of submission you have. Please include page numbers on all preliminary submissions to make it easier for reviewers to provide helpful comments.
Submit a PDF copy of your full manuscript to the Workshop paper submission site at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=pacos2018. Acknowledgement will be sent within 48 hours of submission.
Only PDF files will be accepted, uploaded to the submission link above. Each paper will receive a minimum of three reviews. Papers will be selected based on their originality, relevance, significance, technical clarity and presentation, language, and references. Submission implies the willingness of at least one of the authors to register and present the paper, if accepted. At least one of the authors of each accepted paper will have to register and attend the HPCS 2018 conference to present the paper at the Workshop as scheduled. By submitting the paper to the HPCS conference, all authors agree to abide by all HPCS conference paper submission, publication and presentation policies as well as following ethical and professional codes of conduct, including those of the professional co-sponsoring organizations. For more information, please refer to the Authors Info and Registration Info pages.
Accepted papers will be published in the Conference proceedings. Instructions for final manuscript format and requirements will be posted on the HPCS 2018 Conference web site. It is our intent to have the proceedings formally published in hard and soft copies and be available at the time of the conference. The proceedings is projected to be included in the IEEE or ACM Digital Library and indexed in all major indexing services accordingly.
Plans are underway to have the best papers, in extended version, selected for possible publication in a reputable journal as special issue. Detailed information will soon be announced and will be made available on the conference website.
If you have any questions about paper submission or the Workshop, please contact the workshop organizers.
Paper Submissions: ------------------------------------------- March 25, 2018
Acceptance Notification: -------------------------------------- April 15, 2018
Camera Ready Papers and Registration Due by: ----------- May 03, 2018
Conference Dates: -------------------------------------------- July 16 – 20, 2018
- Nouredine Melab : Université Lille 1/INRIA Lille - Nord Europe/CNRS CRIStAL. Lille, France. Phone: +33 3 59 57 78 86 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Imen Chakroun : Exascience Life Lab, IMEC Research Center. Leuven, Belgium. Phone: +32 16 28 81 89 Email: email@example.com
- Peter Koros?ec: Joz?ef Stefan Institute. Ljubljana, Slovenia. Phone: +386 1 477 3460 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boris Naujoks: TH Ko?ln, University of Applied Sciences. Gummersbach, Germany. Phone: +49 2261 8196 6257 Email: email@example.com
- Jan GMYS: Université de Mons / Faculté Polytechnique . Mons, Belgium. Phone: +32 65/37 46 94 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Program Committee*:
All submitted papers will be rigorously reviewed by the workshop technical program committee members following similar criteria used in HPCS 2018 and will be published as part of the HPCS 2018 Proceedings.
(* Committee formation is pending and will be finalized shortly.)